Our annual general meeting is to be held on Saturday 15th June at 0930 in Christ Church Rooms, South Street, Cockermouth. Please do come along if you can but let Jo know by email if you intend to come so she can make sure there is enough refreshments for everyone!!!
Warning re flood doors – from Sue Cashmore, Cockermouth Flood Action Group
If you remember when the government gave £5000 grants to all those flooded and that people were advised to buy flood protection products with a BSi Kitemark. One of the companies that sold extensively in Cumbria ‘Water Gate Flood Solutions’, obtained a kitemark with 2 of its doors but only if a’ sash jammer’ was fitted. (In non-technical terms, a jammer is a sort of knob placed on the inside of the door to tighten things more to provide a better seal). Now this only works from the inside of the door, so when the door is locked from the outside (when people are not in the property) is doesn’t work, rendering it pretty useless. ( why BSi agreed to award a kitemark for a door that only works on one side beggars belief!) However, it doesn’t stop there. The company sold the door as a kitemarked door but with no jammer and didn’t tell people of that important fact. The company has now gone bust and at least 500 properties in the county have one fitted and have no idea that come the next flood, the doors won’t work. Please see the statement which is on the BSi website! This is serious stuff! Please let everyone know on your patch, just in case they one of the unlucky purchasers of a Watergate door!!
https://www.bsigroup.com/…/flood-protection-and-waterproof…/Watergate Flood Solutions – Misuse of BSI Kitemark
BSI has been notified that two flood doorsets manufactured by Watergate Flood Solutions have been sold and installed to customers, both claiming to have the Kitemark. An integral key component of the doorsets – the sash jammer (required to ensure efficient protection against water ingress) – was not installed and therefore these doorsets are not what was approved by BSI.
Property owners who have installed either a Watergate Inward Opening UPVC Single Doorset or a Watergate Inward Opening Composite Single Doorset need to be aware that these products are not what was certified by BSI and therefore may be susceptible to leakage in the event of a flood. BSI has withdrawn the Kitemark certificate relating to these two pieces of equipment (reference: KM 643203).
You can find us on Facebook as Cockermouth Emergency Response Group – just send us a message
You can email us on email@example.com
Ring us on 07852 599794 – if we don’t answer leave a message or email us
EMERGENCY EXERCISE – Saturday 24 November
Have you signed up as a volunteer? We will be conducting our next exercise on this date. You will be alerted by text (as in a real incident) and asked to report to Christ Church Rooms at 0930. Our administrator will be in touch before this. Please make sure we have the correct mobile telephone number for you. If you are able to come along please do – we hope to persuade the Womens’ Institute to provide coffee and cake – should be a bonus!
General Data Protection Regulations Privacy Notice
- We process your data under section 1a of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). This states you (the data subject) have given consent to the processing of your personal data for one or more specific purposes.
- We collect your data when you give these to us to register either as a householder or as a volunteer. The data we retain will only be that you willingly share with us
- We will take all reasonable technical precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information. We restrict access to those who have a need to know and our staff have been trained in handling the information securely.
- You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time.
- You can access the records held in person, electronically or in writing.
- We will not share your data with any third party without your express consent. We assume that by signing up as a householder for our purposes you agree to our sharing your data with the emergency services in the event of any incident in line with section 1e of the GDPR. This states: process is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller. For example if we pass your contact details to the emergency services if you are in an area affected by floods and they need to contact you.
- We will not transfer any of your data to third countries.
- We will check regularly that your personal data is correct, although we do ask that you update us to any changes. We will ask you to confirm that you agree to the ongoing retention of your data.
- Any breach of your data gives you the right to make a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office
Cockermouth Emergency Response Group
Cockermouth Emergency Response Group has been created in response to the frequent flooding of the town. The group has been created by Churches Together, Rotary and Cockermouth Flood Action Group, it is supported by the town, borough and county councils. The aim of the group is to ensure the the community is better prepared for flooding. The response following a flood is already co-ordinated and well supported but the hours before a flood are fraught and chaotic for residents and business owners trying to save as many possessions as possible while also trying to care for the vulnerable in their community areas. What residents and businesses need before the water hits is help. This help would include tasks such as moving furniture to the first floor or into vehicles packing of boxes with books, kitchen items etc followed by evacuation to a safe place. The group would prioritise the vulnerable in our community and those in ground floor flats and bungalows. Assistance would also be offered to the evacuation centres. The group could also be called on in other community emergencies. To do this the group is looking for volunteers who could respond in an emergency. We would like to create a data base of volunteers, if you would like to become a part of Cockermouth Emergency Response Group please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org